Infrastructure Mission to the USA
9-13 October 2017
Washington D.C., Richmond, VA, Chicago, IL and Indianapolis, IN
U.S. President Donald Trump has called on Congress to invest $1 trillion in U.S. infrastructure, including airports, which he has previously described as the “bottom of the rung” internationally. “Crumbling infrastructure will be replaced with new roads, bridges, tunnels, airports and railways gleaming across our beautiful land,” Trump said in an address to Congress, calling for “a new program of national rebuilding.”
In response to this major opportunity, AmCham is coming together with Austrade to organise our first “Infrastructure Mission to the USA”. The Mission will be led by Australian Ambassador to the United States Joe Hockey. With visits planned across four major US cities - including with the Trump administration's key infrastructure policymakers in Washington D.C. - this mission will enable you to explore first-hand the opportunities for businesses in Australia from the Trump
administration's US$1 trillion infrastructure program.
Our broad objective is to raise Australia’s “infrastructure expert” profile with key decision makers and influencers in the US. In meetings with key players in the administration and industry (in both Australia and US), we aim to:
- Share the Australian experience in innovative financing and project development with government decision-makers to establish Australia as a trusted advisor with relevant experience, and
- Showcase Australian capability and expertise to US Government and industry to position Australian firms as potential developers, financers and joint venture collaborators.
The Mission will take place 9-13 October, 2017 which allows us to be informed by developments in the US. It is intended the Mission will visit Chicago, Indianapolis, Washington, DC, Richmond:
- Chicago, IL which has a long history of Australian involvement in privatising roads, bridges and parking systems and a location central to Midwest states with similar interests
- Indianapolis, IN as experienced with Australia (toll roads) and with a new Governor with a strong interest in infrastructure; VP Pence is former Governor of Indiana
- Washington, DC for Federal Government meetings, including White House, Senate and House infrastructure committees, Department of Transportation
- Richmond, VA to see an example of a forward-looking state with interest and experience in working with PPPs and with Australia (Transurban I-95 express lanes)
As a delegate joining this mission, you will be part of a select group showcasing Australia's experience and expertise in innovative infrastructure development, and making the case for what Australia would bring to upcoming US projects. In order to have the greatest impact on US Federal, State and municipal governments, we seek the participation of those in Australia who have develop and financed projects and run the bidding programs from the inside. In addition to Australian officials, we are seeking to recruit a delegation of approximately 25-30 specialists from across the infrastructure value chain: advisory, legal, developers, operators, financiers.
Commercial delegates will have a unique opportunity to hear first-hand the infrastructure state-of-play in the US, visit Australian-owned projects and network with key Australian and US players. Australia’s public and private sector experience and expertise is well-respected and admired in this market.
2017 Infrastructure Mission Flyer